Friday, July 20, 2012

Where There's a Will...



Hi soon to be loyal readers, (fingers crossed/knock on wood,)
My name is Will Kardas and I'm your friendly neighborhood overachieving underachiever.
Here is a little about myself.

I have an unhealthy obsession with superheroes, and even more so with anti-heroes.
I watch movies with the frequency most people watch the morning news.
I love the look of old and the work of new.
My entire body tingles when I see the latest and greatest science and technology. I absorb historical knowledge like a dry sponge and leak it out just as easily. I've even written several well published papers on the history of San Francisco.

I love facts! Love 'em. Especially those really obscure, hard to find facts that get lost in between the couch cushions, begging to be found and brought to the light again. Speaking of which, if you have been stalking me on Facebook, you know I like to do this little thing called FFF, which stands for Friday Fun Facts, or Fun Fact Friday, or Furry Fuzzy and Fizzy, or Funny From Finland. I really haven't decided what it should stand for, nor care for that matter, but it's basically a round up of interesting and little known random facts. Sometimes they are based on a reader suggested topic, say for instance a Merkin, (go on look it up, I dare ya!) Other times, it's something that has been rattling around in the ole' Kardas Kabeza and figured it would get you to put that 4th grade reading skill to use and fire up that hat rack of yours.
Since I'm more of a visual person, why don't I show ya. With the general release of The Dark Knight Rises, I thought it would be appropriate to have some facts about the Caped Crusader, Batman.

*When Batman comics first came out, he used to kill bad guys all the time.
*While we all know Batman not only refuses to use guns, he absolutely despises them, in the earlier issues, the World's Greatest Detective used to carry a six-gun at his side during his nightly patrols. This eventually changed because Bob Kane, creator of Batman, thought that Batman wearing a gun didn’t “Feel Right”.
*Hugh Hefner started the 1960's Batman TV show...well, sort of. Hugh was a big Batman fan and in 1965 at the Chicago Playboy Club, he held a Batman themed party. He hired actors to play as the real Batman and Robin. Little did Hugh know that there was an executive from ABC at the party. The executive seeing the crowds positive reaction to the dynamic duo, he immediately called ABC with a pitch for the 1960's show that we all know so well.
*The very first Batman movie was actually made in 1964 by Andy Warhol. It was called "Batman, Dracula."
*While Batman originally took place in New York City, the writers chose to put the story in a more fictional setting so they could create a world around Batman. The name Gotham City, came from one of the writers looking in a phone book for inspiration and turning to "Gotham Jewlers."
*Who is Batman? Sure, it's been a lot of people. But who has been Batman the longest? It's none other than Kevin Conroy. Who in this writer's eyes, is the best Batman of all. He has been the voice actor of the animated Batman for over 12 years and has been in over seven cartoon series, 6 video games, and five animated movies. 

So that's me in a nutshell. Tune back next time for another riveting installment by yours truly. Same Bat time. Same Bat...site?

P.S. I tend to lie when I get in trouble, about my publishing career, surprise birthday parties, length of introductions, and when playing poker.
Now, exaggeration, that's a whole other animal all together...

No comments:

Post a Comment