Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Positive Influences of Television: Top Chef

It's frequently said that TV has a lot of negative qualities: It sucks your brain out, it wastes your time, it's hours and hours of trash, it's a bad influence, etc. This is all true in some cases. I know I don't get anything positive from watching a Real Housewives marathon, but there is some television that has a positive influence on it's viewers. This is the first in a series on some shows that have had a positive influence on my life and first up is Top Chef.


If you read my last post, you know that Top Chef is one of my favorite shows. I started watching Top Chef on accident. There was nothing on and my ex stumbled across it. The show was well into the first season (which filmed in my current home of San Francisco), but we were interested in the location and the challenge - the palate test. We were soon hooked, finished the season, and I never stopped watching after that.

Before I became a Top Chef addict, I thought cooking meant finding a new sauce to put on the Buitoni pasta that I had just boiled or microwaving steaming Green Giant vegetables. I had no idea what molecular gastronomy, blanching, braising, brining, or julienning meant, and even though I'll probably never be as skilled as the worst contestant to ever be on that show, it got me interested in cooking. No, it taught me how to cook.

My mom had watched a lot of cooking shows when I was a kid (Two Fat Ladies, Barefoot Contessa, etc), but I found these step-by-step instruction shows boring. They made it look like cooking was just chop, stir, and wait. But Top Chef,  with its fast-paced and competitive setup, showed me that cooking could be exhilarating.

I'm lucky in that I can interpret a recipe or pick up tips from television shows. After a couple of seasons of Top Chef, I began experimenting in my own kitchen. A spice rack that my mom had given me was suddenly getting used, I stopped buying frozen vegetables and pastas, and I would emailed my mom for my favorite childhood recipes. I bought cook books while also watching vigilantly as the chefs on TV combined flavors to adapt to that week's challenge.

It didn't stop with Top Chef either. Top Chef was my gateway show, and watching it made it easier to get into Chopped and then the Top Chef Spin-Offs (Just Desserts and Masters). Eventually, I was also hooked on Worst Cooks in America because I loved the tips they gave for the novice chefs (I always pre-heat my pans now). After Around the World in 80 Plates, I realized my DVR didn't have room for any more cooking shows so I cut myself off... but when I was home visiting my parents, I found that I didn't mind watching a few step-by-step shows with my Mom.

Top Chef changed me from someone ambivalent about cooking to  a pretty good home chef. I love making dishes for parties, have a full shelf just for cookbooks, and know how to balance and mix spices to make flavors I enjoy. Now, I really identify as a "foodie" and I don't know if that would be a part of my life if I hadn't found this show. I wonder if I would have found my biggest take away - my love of wine and interest in pairing. The first season of Top Chef featured chef Stephen Aspirinio - who was also a sommelier (master wine pairer). Before the show, I didn't even know that was a thing, and now I've built a wine collection and read books on pairing.

My love for food and wine is a huge part of my life. It has propelled me to try certain restaurants, learn how to cook, go on foodie adventures, taste wines, and I might not have discovered these interests without Top Chef.

No comments:

Post a Comment